Sep 23, 2010

Stepping out of my comfort zone

Tomorrow is Friday, which means it's the day I take my first quilting class. Yay........I'm a tad nervous because I will be applique by hand! Did I mention I'm so not confident in my by hand skills. We are making this quilt. I feel so nervous because there weren't any before hand instructions. So I bought my fabric and cut most of it to the size the book says. I'm not sure on the rounded pieces because the template didn't have the seam allowance on it, so instead i just cut out blocks and maybe the class instructor can help me. I'm so nervous that I'm going to look dumb. Yeah I have made quilts before but this stuff isn't stuff I have done before. I kinda wish I had a sewing mentor.

These are the fabrics I choose to do the "orange peel" shapes in. Do you think they go alright together? I guess we'll see. Some I bought new and others I got out of the scrap basket. Tell me what you think.









On another note I was at Joann's the other day and was looking at the home decor fabric because I can't find any curtains for my 96 inch windows that don't cost a fortune and in the middle of the clearance stuff i found this.  It's not as white as the picture makes it look but it was only six dollars a yard. So I'm going to attempt to make curtains and quick. Like this coming week quick because my grandma the sewing genius leaves for Alabama and I just might need her help. I know what your thinking she could be my sewing mentor and for a bit she is but she lives like 6 hours from here so I only get to soak in her wisdom if she's here or I'm there.
So that sums up my day. It's all excitement and nervousness for my first class.
By the way I need to remember to by more pins. I just went to pack them up and realized I used them all pinning my batik project. I guess it'one of those things you can never have enough of.

No comments: