Nov 11, 2010

UMMMMM this wasn't suppose to be so big!!!!

Last year at my lqs there was a very lovely throw size quilt hanging near the register. I wish I had a picture of it but i feel silly whipping out my camera at a store. It had a sign that said made with 25 fq. It happened to be fat quarter day so I picked up 25. (on the 25th of every month you can get 25 fq's for 30 bucks) Let me say again IT WAS THROW SIZE!!!!!!!!!!! It also had a pattern so you could know what to do. I got my fq's and a couple weeks later I was asking the lady who made it what to do. Well I could have picked a better day cause it was the end of the birthday sale day and she was tired. I would be too. I had gone during the morning and had to leave cause A. it was so hot in there. It was like body to body and B. the line was so long. Peps had bolts stacked as high as their height to be cut. Not the best day for me to want 4 yrds of a white and 5 yrds of some browns and that be it. (40% off ladies so I tried to stay in the line but my patience got the best of me so I came back later and used my coupon and actually had a better selection to choose from.  So I just went home and did what I thought following the pattern.

I've been working on this thing for a while now. It's become my best friend along with my seam ripper. We're the 3 best friends that anyone can have....We're the 3 best friends that anyone can have....We're the 3 best friends that anyooonnnnee caaannn haveeee. 

So after getting the pieces all cut and sewn back together and spending the past 2 weeks trimming these blocks to size during Grey's (the only shown I watch now a days) I FINALLY figured out the way I wanted to sew the blocks together. The pattern showed one way I say no way man I'm twisting and turning these. I sit down after dropping H off at school and start sewing. I got about 7 strips sewn and look over and say "Umm this is looking a little bigger than i thought." So I wrestle with myself and decided to sew the rest cause really what am I going to do with all these blocks if i don't use them? The funny thing about the pattern was on the very last page it said what she did to make it smaller. AAAHAHAHAA read all directions before taking the test. I forgot that lesson from school. So goodbye throw size and hello queen size.


I have them all sewn together and my intention was to have this finished by the end of the month but it turned out huge and the funniest part is I didn't buy enough fabric to back it.....hahaha! Now i gotta go get more and what I choose is all gone cause I bought the last 4 yrds they had. So a pieced back it will be.

Side note- I do not purchase everything at once. I will buy all the fabric to make the top then later go and find the backing and after it's quilted i take the whole thing with me to find the binding, Crazy I know. I just have a hard time making decisions like that all at one time.

No comments: